Hi! Welcome to Angry Cat Productions. If you have any questions about any of my posts, comment, and I'll do my best to help in a timely fashion (usually quite quickly.) If you have any other questions, feel free to comment on whatever post you want, and I'll take a stab at helping you out. And if something on this site helps you solve your problems, please let me know in a comment. Because like the rest of the world, I like warm fuzzy feelings. Enjoy!

Angry Cat Productions
Ltd.

Friday, September 16, 2005

In case I forgot to mention it...

I'm into computers. Especially programming. Which somewhat explains why I'm very much into Open-Source software. If you don't know what that means, in Wikipedia (another adherent of the open-source spirit), then come back.

OK, now that you all know what open-source is about, I can continue. Some awesome exapmles or this are GIMP (www.gimp.org) and Inkscape, both drawing programs, GIMP leaning towards raster (like paint) and Inkscape (www.inkscape.org) on the vector side (like, uh, Word's drawing stuff?). Another super-awesome example is NASA World Wind, a program kind of like Google Earth (World Wind is more functional, less eye candy. Kind of like AOL vs Firefox). "But," to quote a great Geico commercial, "I digress." My main purpose of mentioning open source is not only to spread the word on awesome programs and developers, but also to brag on what I was able to do with them. With the help of the FREE Gimp and Inkscape, with no assistance from other more expensive programs that shall not be named, I created the design for our boy's tennis shirt and e-mailed it to the printers. (For anyone interested, I had to send them an .eps, instead of the open-source SVG, but Inkscape handled it beautifully.) I used GIMP to import a bitmap of the Air Jordan logo so I could loosely base my work on it. I then created a vector outline of my design, tweaked it, exported it from GIMP, opened it in Inkscape, touched it up, and viola! I had a nifty shirt design. We got our shirts today, and they turned out pretty well. I may not be able to draw, but I can trace pretty well. So if you're into that graphics design kind of stuff, or if you just like to draw, check out GIMP and Inkscape. And of course, if you want to read about them, check out their articles in Wikipedia ( and ). I was going to end with some clever line from Shakespeare (or whoever wrote the stuff), but I can't come up with anything off the top of my head. So for now, adios.
Randy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment
<< Home